This recipe is inspired from the Caribbean famous dish Pumpkin Rice and has some amazing health boosting, fragrant ingredients like ginger, garlic, thyme and of course pumpkin. It also includes chicken, transforming it into a protein rich dish that is delicious, hearty, nutritious and simply all made in one pot! I call it the Caribbean version of the Spanish Paella!
Pumpkin is one of the very low-calorie vegetables and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. It is great for the heart thanks to its fiber, vitamins and potassium. Beta carotene and other vitamins present in pumpkin help in regeneration of cells. Pumpkin’s rich potassium content lowers the risk of hypertension. It is loaded with many antioxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C, and vitamin-E that help in revitalizing the body and skin and preventing free radical damage leading to a stronger immune system.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- 1 cup round brown rice or white rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups raw, peeled, diced pumpkin or butternut squash
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- olive oil
- salt black pepper, sweet paprika
- Jalapeños, avocado and pineapple for garnish (optional)
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and sweet paprika
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and cook chicken pieces until no longer pink. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add additional olive oil and cook onions for about 2 minutes then add garlic, grated ginger, thyme and pumpkin. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add rice. Stir to combine then add stock.
- Cook on medium heat for approximately 30 minutes covered,
- Add in chicken pieces. Cook for another 10 minutes then check if rice is cooked. Add additional water or stock, if rice is too dry or uncooked.
- Garnish with jalapeños for heat, avocado for creaminess and pineapple for sweetness!